All work is copyrighted to their respective owners © 2018 | Tom Pugh, tompughdesigner@gmail.com

Software Used

 

-Maya2014

-Photoshop

-Crazybump

 

 

Team Size

 

.1 person

 

Duration

 

.2 Months

 

Roles

 

-3D Modeller

-Texture Artist

 

 

Project Category

 

This was a University Project.

 

 

 

 

This was a solo project and was my first real attempt at 3D modelling in Maya.

 

The aim was to build a military vehical, it could be realy or of our own imagination. It had to have a texture size of 2048 x 2048 and could be no more than 50,000 polys. The model needed 3 different LODs each with a decressing number of polys.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For this brief I decided to try and build a futuristic space/low atmospheric fighter jet. I took inspiration from the 'Broadsword' from Halo 4 and real life fighter jets like the F15 Tomcat and other low atmospheric jets. You can see this in the design of my Vehicle when you look at the shape of the body. You can see that the basic shape of the body is inspired by the F15 tomcat and the 'Broadsword'. Low atmospheric jets inspired me to place the intake vent on the top of the plane instead of where F15 jets typically have them. I then looked at the 'Broadsword' and took science fiction elements and incorporated them into my 3D model. These elements are parts like the guns, engines, solar panels, oxygen canister and mine dispenser. I named my Vehicle the 'Aquila' which is the Latin name for certain breeds of Eagle. I named it this because of the finalised shape of the wings.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I used the revolve tool to again create a smooth nose cone and a lattice to deform it. After this I experimented with lofting.  I used the EP curve tool to map out the shape of the nose length and then to map out the body shape.

                                          

I then Lofted these curves and got the smooth effect for the nose and body that I wanted. But, there were still some bumps in the mesh. To solve this I went back a few steps and removed some of the curves that weren't necessary. When I Lofted these curves I was given a smooth body with no bumps in it. The bumps were occurring simply because I had too many curves and when I used the Loft tool it followed those curves exactly and it gave a very messy NURBS surface.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When it came to unwrapping my model I unwrapped each piece individually. I used trial and error as I took each piece and then tried them all with different types of unwraps with different settings. This meant that I was able to get nice enough unwraps of all pieces of my fighter. Two pieces that gave me most trouble were those that make up the nose. I had to settle with the best unwrap I could get and this caused me some trouble during the texturing process. Getting the pixel density right for the unwraps was a bit of a challenge but after I had sorted that, moving it onto the grid and organising it was very simple. However, I did still have some wasted space on the grid after unwrapping and sorting the density. In hindsight I could have avoided this by increasing the size of everything on the grid. But, I think I ended up with an unwrap that was organised and relatively easy to work with.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For my texture I wanted to try and make a digital/urban/space camouflage. I used a base gray and then made a camouflage pattern with a darker gray. On a new layer I put the 'space' camouflage which was a lighter blue and I applied it with a brush which made a sort of star dust effect. On one layer I added the shut lines and on another I added some dirt. I used a normal map to make the shut lines look more defined and put a specular on the whole texture to give it a nice metallic look. I had never used Photoshop or crazy bump to make a texture before and during the process I learnt a lot about making a decent looking texture.

 

 

 

The 'Aquilla'

Detailed Information

 

Overview